The last 3 or 4 weeks have been turbulent to say the very least. A lot has happened. Therefore this won’t be a regular article in the normal sense of the word, although I’m aiming to return to regularity next week. Over the last few weeks, a bout of illness that kept me bedridden for 3 or 4 days, a ridiculously hectic schedule and the tragic passing of one of my best friends in Kris Travis have all culminated in my mind being elsewhere and my regular articles being at the back of my priorities list.
As stated, things will return to normal next week, as I aim to get back to somewhat of a normal routine. I’ve gone back and forth in my head on how to handle the Travis situation here, and I can only really summarise it by saying that I can’t sum up how I feel, nor can I really put into words how much he meant to me. Anyone who really knows me knows how much I loved him and 15 years of friendship can’t be summed up in a few short paragraphs.
To bring people up to speed from a wrestling perspective, I’ve been insanely busy as of late. Some brief notes:
– I’ve had successful and really enjoyable debuts for FFW in Lincoln and WrestlePro in Manchester
– Defended the Progress Tag Titles in 2 BRUTAL matches, firstly against Zack Sabre JR and Tommaso Ciampa in a match that resulted in damaged cartilage in my ear, a bloody chest and a left arm that I couldn’t tense for a few days, and secondly just this past weekend in a violent No DQ Match against FSU, which featured chairs, tables, thumbtacks and a standing ovation afterwards.
– Returned to Pro Wrestling Chaos for the 3rd instalment of my feud with Mike Bird, in a Falls Count Anywhere Match in front of nearly 700 people, where we destroyed each other, I swung off a big rope and dove off a high platform
– Continued my journey towards the Southside Heavyweight Championship and carried on my heated feud with Joseph Connors, including a sick attack where he taped me to the ropes and destroyed Nixon Newell in front of me
– Was unsuccessful in this year’s HOPE King Of Flight Tournament, despite defeating Mike Bird in the first round, ultimately falling to my mate Jigsaw in a 5 minute sprint in the 2nd Round
– Wrestled a lot for MegaSlam, including a few really fun weeks on the camps, with super fun battles with CJ Banks and Boris Koslov, before getting to display a COMPLETELY different side of me as a camp show baddie in 2 extremely enjoyable matches against Nixon
– Also made appearances for PCW, NGW and Phoenix Events over the last few weeks – Sat down for 5 minutes once. Immediately felt guilty.
Follow ‘The Mexican Sensation’ El Ligero
Official ‘The Mexican Sensation’ El Ligero Facebook
Official ‘The Mexican Sensation’ El Ligero Twitter
Where You Can See El Ligero This Weekend
Apr 15th: British Championship Wrestling. El Ligero vs ‘The Beast Of Belfast’ Big Damo. Grand Hall, Kilmarnock.
Apr 16th: MegaSlam Wrestling. Lowther Pavilion, Lytham St Annes.
Apr 17th: Plymouth Wrestling Association ‘7 Year Anniversary Show’. El Ligero vs Martin Kirby. Plymouth Guildhall, Plymouth.
*Our thanks to Nik Towers for the use of his artwork in the column header. You can see more of Nik’s artwork at the Wrestling Artwork NT Facebook page.
Additional thanks to Turning Face Photography and El Ligero for the images used in the column.